A workplace accident can have a dramatic effect on your business, so you need to be proactive in promoting workplace health and safety (WHS)!
Creating a safe work environment is a legal requirement.
Know your WHS obligations
Safe Work Australia oversees the legally binding WHS laws that are in each state or territory. Creating a safe work environment is a legal requirement. It’s important for business owners to take WHS seriously to avoid injury in the workplace.
As a business owner, you must:
- provide safe work premises
- assess risks and implement suitable measures for controlling them
- ensure safe use and handling of goods and substances
- provide and maintain safe machinery and materials
- assess workplace layout and provide safe systems of work
- provide a suitable working environment and facilities
- have workers’ compensation insurance for your employees.